The history of dentistry in Cincinnati can be traced back to the early 19th century when the city was rapidly growing and becoming an important center for trade and commerce. Cincinnati was home to the second oldest dental college in the United States, the Ohio College of Dental Surgery, which was established in 1845. The college was a leader in the field of dental education and was responsible for training many of the early dentists in the city. In fact, in 1866, one of those early dentists was Lucy Hobbs Taylor who is known as the first woman to ever graduate from dental school.
During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Cincinnati became a hub for dental innovation and technology. Dentists in the city were among the first to introduce and use dental X-rays, and they also developed new techniques for filling cavities, making crowns and bridges, and performing extractions.
Throughout the 20th century, the dental profession continued to evolve in Cincinnati, with advancements in materials, techniques, and technology. For example, in the 1960s, dental lasers were first introduced, which allowed dentists to perform many procedures more accurately and with less discomfort for patients.
Today, Cincinnati is home to a thriving dental community, with hundreds of dental offices, clinics, dental labs and research facilities. The city is recognized for its high standards of dental care and is known for attracting some of the best dentists from around the world.
The history of dentistry in Cincinnati is long and rich, reflecting the city's commitment to innovation and excellence in dental care. From the establishment of the second dental college in the United States to the introduction of cutting-edge technologies, the city has been at the forefront of the dental profession for more than 175 years.